Who will be the Tigers fifth starter?

It looks to be a four hourse race for the final spot in the starting rotation between Dontrelle Willis, Nate Robertson, Zach Miner, and Rick Porcello. Who is the favorite right now? Zach Miner is versatile enough to pitch out of the pen, and my money is that Porcello will spend one more year in the minors streching his arm out and getting some more seasoning, so that leaves Dontrelle Willis and Nate Robertson. The Tiger fan in me wants Nate Robertson to pitch well enough to earn the spot because he has pitched in some big games for the Tigers in the past and he makes his home here in Detroit and I really respect that. But my respect doesn't win games in the big leagues! No matter who wins the final spot you will have an extra starting pitcher and then the question becomes what do you do with that extra pitcher. I guess I wouldn't be suprised if a trade occured before opening day. I would like some feed back and opinions on this on going situation down in Lakeland.

8 comments:

  1. Tell ya what, Miggy, let's put it to a vote! (See column at right.) This "participative journalism" is way more fun that the Free Press of News.

    BTW, why don't you introduce yourself to the boys! We're a small group, most of us know each other,and if you're not in the witness protection program, tell us something about yourself, how you found us, where you're from, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say Dontrelle if he shows any of his old form during spring training. Tigers are paying him a lot of money, and I think most people want him to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we should wait to see if the Tigers' No. 2 starter is healthy. I know, I know -- Bonderman's shoulder stillness is "normal" and he is skipping his turn on Saturday because they want to keep a closer eye on him in a simulated game. But I'm not convinced that he'll be ready to go by Opening Day. Hope my fears are unfounded, but I'm not banking on his health just yet. Let's be thankful the Tigers have six guys who can start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, Miggy, pictures make the blog go round, the more the better! Fer instance, you can get a shot of Jackson on Wikipedia free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, Jeff, I just posted a poll. (Took me a second try to get it right and allow more than one vote per person) but this should give you some way to "one-dimensionally" voice an opinion. I say one-diminsionally, because if Leyland starts Willis at the beginning of the season, he starts hitting the backstop, and Bonderman is telling Leyland he feels good, we all know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Ryan Horner and I live in Southgate Michigan, and I am a huge Tigers fan. I am twenty five years old. I found out about the blog through Chuck Piotrowski. I happen to date his lovely daughter Ellen. I currently work the midnight shift at Willow Run airport so I have a lot of free time on my hands. My favorite player if you couldn't tell is Miguel Cabrera. Well I look forward to to contributing to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Ryan.How are things at Willow Run? I owned two Chevrolet Corvairs that were made there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bondo is still sore and hadn't pitched in a game yet down here, so he may be removing himself from consideration. At least when the season opens.

    ReplyDelete