Leyland for Governor

In 2006 when the Tigers were soooo hot, somebody actually created a T shirt withthis image. Wow - hard to believe. Dave Dombrowski was givben free reign of MIke Ilitch's wallet and went out and bought a team. Got rid of some great prospects for some proven veterans, who didn't pan out. Whos is the biggest disappointment? My vote goes to Dontrelle Willis. I wonder if he will ever pitch in the majors again. Renteria is a close second. Sheffield is a strong third. Anyhow - a major disappontment has been Govenor Jim Leyland. It is his job to have the team ready and motivated to play ball. And that has not happened. When Trammel lost 129 games he lost his job, because his team didn't produce, but look at the quality of the players he had compared to the quality of players Leyland has. I say Leyland has to go, for progress to happen. My pick for his successor is Kirk Gibson. He is aggressive, knows Detroit, was already here as a bench coach, and is currnetlythe bench coast for the Diamonbacks - who have lead their didvision most of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Good points, Chuck. For all Leyland's blustering in the media about benching players who fail to produce I can't see where he's done that -- except for taking Todd Jones out of the closer role.

    Yes, hard to name a bigger disappointment than Dontrelle. I thought when we got him that his best days were behind him, and I know the Marlins made us take him if we wanted Cabrera, but I never thought he'd be as bad as he's been. From seeing him here in Lakeland he strikes me as a decent guy and I hope he revives his career.

    I say it's time to back up the truck and dump Sheffield, Renteria, Jones and Kenny Rogers. Can we afford to sign C.C. Sabathia?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agreed guys. I was surprised a few weeks ago when I asked ya'll if we should fire Leyland, and didn't get a consensus.
    Tigers done good to get rid of Grilli. Now add Robertson and Seay to the truck, and you're on a roll!

    ReplyDelete