Who was the Greatest Tiger First Sacker?

This one is going to be another tough choice fellas, a guy we knew and loved, versus two Hall of Fame Greats that our Dads and grandpas told us about. I’ll present them to you chronologically; you fill out the lineup card. (Kooch looked up Freehan on Wikipedia, a great idea. I’ll hyperlink the ballpayers’ names to Wiki for easy reference.)
Harry Heilmann must have been a monster in his day (the teens and 1920’s.) At 6’1” and on a lineup with Ty Cobb and Sam Crawford, the pitchers must have been forced to pitch to him. Fifteen years a Tiger, with a lifetime .342 average, you could say his numbers were evidence of the era, but he took the batting crown four times, so no matter the numbers, he was often the best of his peers. In 1923 he hit .403. A little younger than Cobb, Heilmann saw the dawn of the live ball, and was the first player to homer in every major league park after he was traded to the national league. To this day he is among the all-time hitting leaders in most categories, and besides, there’s a playfield on the east side of Detroit named after him. (At least there was when we were growing up.) Heilmann was extremely popular with our Dads, as he was the Tiger broadcaster in the late ‘30s and ‘40’s, told a great story and had a quick wit. They remembered him as we remember Ernie and George.
The only problem is where he is going to fit in our lineup? He could be considered a rightfielder, playing 1587 games there, only 448 at first, but we all know of a pretty good rightfielder who will give him stiff competition later in our poll.

Fellow Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg might give Heilmann a run for the money in our poll. He was “only” a Tiger for eleven years of his 12-year career, but what an impact he made. He led the league in homers four times, including almost breaking Ruth’s record, with 58 dingers in 1938. To this day he ranks as having one of the highest slugging percentages in baseball, and retired with a .313 average.
Greenberg was known to be a classy fellow who rose above the anti-Semitism of the day. He made a controversial decision (later repeated by Sandy Koufax) to sit out Yom Kippur. Free Press columnist Edgar Guest wrote a poem (yes, newspapers had poetry in those days.) “We shall miss him on the infield and shall miss him at the bat / But he's true to his religion--and I honor him for that." Although the draft board classified him as being “flat-footed” he enlisted after Pearl Harbor, sacrificing about four and a half years of his career.

Then there was “Stormin’ Norman,” Norm Cash We remember him for his power, popping the ball over the third deck in Tiger Stadium four times, and getting 377 home runs in his career. But he debuted with the Tigers in 1961, winning the batting title with a .361 average. When teammate Lolich asked him why he didn’t hit for average instead of power, Norm said “Jim Campbell pays me to hit home runs. I can get hits if I want to, just watch tomorrow.” The next game he went three for four.
"I owe my success to expansion pitching, a short right-field fence, and my hollow bats." (He admitted to corking his bats.)
In addition, he was one of the finest fielding first basemen, and was with the Tigers 15 years, second only to Kaline, who happened to be his roomate.
We remember him for his hitting but we loved him for his sense of humor. Who can forget him finishing the ninth in a Nolan Ryan no-hitter, coming to bat with a table leg and wearing over sized sun-glasses? Or the time he tried to call “time-out” when caught in a run-down?

If you had to make out your lineup card, who would you pick?

9 comments:

  1. Well if my dad were voting he would vote for Greenberg, but he is not. I have to vote for Norm Cash - for the reasons that Gregg listed in his summary. Prior to Maggs last year, he was the last Tiger to lead the league in hitting, pretty rare for a Tiger. And one cannot ignore Cash's sense of humor - he did not have arrogance which so many ball players today seem to have. His tragic death was senseless and frustrating -- so much for being a role model.
    The only other candidate I would consider here is MIguel Cabrera. I did not vote for him because he wasn't listed. LOL. And he only has one season with the Tigers, but I do consider him a future Hall of Famer - if this survey would be taken in ten or fifteen years - I think he could be top vote getter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on Miguel, Chuck, but Cash a "role model?" With all due respect, only a former bartender could say that. As you know, rumor has it that poor Norm fell off the dock becuase he was drunk. Other web sites describe him as "hard-livin', hard-drinkin', hard-hittin'." If he was better than, or even as good as Greenberg, he'd be in the Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I went w/ the sentimental choice at catcher and voted for Freehan, but I'm going to reverse course here. Much as I liked watching Cash I have to vote for Heilman

    "Do I contradict myself? very well then I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes."
    -- Walt Whitman

    P.S. I'd vote for Cecil Fielder ahead of Jason Thompson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Tom, I thin you forgot to vote! I voted for HH, Chuck voted for Cash, and those are the only votes I see, unless I missed something.
    (and Jason Thompson and Shawn Casey were a joke. Look for Reno Betoia in the future, cause I like to say the name.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. clarification:

    I did not mean to infer that Norm Cash was a role model. He was a drunk -- but most pro athletes are role models for some segments of the younger generation. The clean cut guys (Al Kaline) are unfortunately a minority.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boyz,

    First of all, it was no rumor about Cash falling off a deck and hitting his head before drowning. Jim Northrop told us the story when he played for the Caesars.

    Hank Greenberg was pretty special, but Norm was there for a long time. That is why I would vote for Cecil Fielder who hit the snot out of the ball and was one of the great Japanese free agent signings of all time. My second vote would actually go to Miguel who is going to blow everybody away.

    We had a couple of other great 1st basemen as well. Even though their tenures were a little short, what about Eddie Matthews and Darrell Evans? We have had a few good ones. In the meantime, I am looking at the ALCS and Carlos Pena just went deep, AGAIN. Maybe he finally has it together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cecil sure could smack the ball. Like the time he broke my thumb when I tride to bare-hand a foul ball of his. Yes, I blew it by not nominating him. Eddie Matthews had a great career with Milwaukee, but was he really a Tiger?
    Tell you what, guys, I'm going around the bases, second next week, then short, etc. I'll nominate Sweet Lou and Charlie Gehringer. Anybody else?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about Dick McAuliffe? He was very good for a long time. Remember that the only double play that he hit into in the 1967 season, was to finish the last game of the season against the Angels that gave the pennant to the Red Sox.

    ReplyDelete