Who was the Greatest Tiger Catcher?




Wow, that's tough. I saw three of these guys, and they were all good, maybe great.




But let's go way back. Back to "Iron Mike" Mickey Cochrane. (Also called "Black Mike" due to his nasty temper, but that really has nothing to do with our poll. He was good buddies with Ty Cobb; 'nuff said about his temper.)


He hit .320 in that Ruthian era of 13 years in the 1920's and '30s, and was quickly elected to the Hall of Fame. Interestingly, he batted left (rare for a catcher) and was so fast down the base line, he often led off. Then he went on to manage the Tigers into two World Series, winning one.


Unfortunately, he only played for the Tigers for his last four seasons, and his last one in 1937 he only played 27 games. Was he really a Tiger, or was he a Philadelphia Athletic, as he was for the first nine years of his career, playing for Connie Mack?




Now we come to "our generation." Bill Freehan was a rock behind the plate. He was the consummate field general, calling a great game and keeping nuts like Denny McClain in check. This native Detroiter played 15 years, but in the hit starved late 1960's, he only hit .266, and got 200 homers at the friendly confines of Tiger Stadium, old green seats and all. Perhaps worst of all, you could clock him from first to third with a calendar. But a really nice fellow, and Lance Parrish credits him with great coaching and advice.


Lance was a good ball player. Compared with his mentor, Freehan,Parrish hit 229 homers in just 11 seasons, 10 in Detroit. Lifetime average of .261 wasn't great, but steady.


Finally, consider Pudge Rodriguez. Although he's a much nicer fellow, we must consider Pudge as we do Cochrane. He will likely go to the Hall of Fame some day, but he was only a Tiger for four seasons. Great speed for a catcher, hit about .300, and had a cannon for an arm to any base.


See what I mean? This is tough to pick just one guy!

5 comments:

  1. Tough choice indeed. I never saw Cochrane play, of course, but I can't argue with HOF membership. On that basis alone I'd have to vote for him. BUT. Since he and Pudge played only 4 seasons each w/ Detroit I consider it a race between Freehan and Parrish. Lance has better offensive numbers but Bill played in an era that tended to favor pitchers. I think Parrish had the better arm but I also think Freehan was better defensively and somehow added more value to the team. I know that's a vague concept and I can't prove it but....my vote goes to Freehan. I fully acknowledge it may be a sentimental choice since he was the catcher I grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your logic. I still voted for Cochranhe, but it makes sense that he may not really be considered a Tiger as hew was here for such a short time, but he was soo dominant in that time. Of the players I saw - my vote goes to #11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote also goes with Freehan, even though he went to that school (and managed) the junior college in
    Ann Arbor. While Cochrane and Pudge are HOF, what cap are they wearing. Check out Wikipedia for an enlightening write-up on Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine lives in the Traverse City area, where Freehan also lives or has a home. My friend has met Freehan and says he's a genuinely nice guy, unlike other star athletes he has met.

    So Bill also has that going for him....Plus my friend reports Freehan regularly attends Mass on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So regular communicants are getting preference? Do Catholic school kids get ranking over CCD?Don't know if my "Baseball Encyclopedia" has denomination listed. (Might be the only stat it does not have.)
    If religion is a criterion, Ty Cobb might be in trouble!!

    ReplyDelete