Wow, Looks Like I Stirred up a Hornet's Nest!


By the powers vested in me by, well, nobody, I'm scrapping this week's poll and starting over again.
Initially we had our list of nominees from http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/fan_forum/all_time_nine/index.jsp?c_id=det.
I complicated things by trying to split the players out by specific position, despite the fact that outfielders are lumped together, and they're all notorious for being switched around by management.
First, Tom justifiably busted me for putting Gibson in left in 1984; it was Herndon. What are we to do? I dare say Gibbie wouldn't have outvoted Kaline in our rightfield poll, where he belonged. So I know it's not Kosher, but let's leave him here for this poll.
Willie Horton was not on the original ballot; now that I've taken a look at his record, I think I see why. He had a tremendously productive career,we all love him, hitting 325 homers over 18 years. But this poll is for the greatest single season. One might argue over when was his "break out" year. For example, in '68 he hit .285, (fourth in the league)nailed 36 homers (second) and 85 RBI's (fifth.) In 1970 he upped the average to .305, 17 homers and 69 RBI's, but hitting had come back, and Willie didn't rank in any of those categories. I'm going to give you the option to vote for his '68 season, since they won the series that year.
Bill asked me why I didn't include Luis Gonzales. Mainly, because he wasn't on the ballot, but I have a challenge for you: he only played for the Tigers in 1998. He didn't make the All-Star team and his wikipedia entry barely mentions the Tigers. Bill, why should we vote for him?
So there you go. Chuck, please vote again if you please.

No comments:

Post a Comment