Just think good thoughts.
What was your favorite all-time baseball movie(s)?
Gene Shallit and Baseball America come up with a pretty good list. Their rankings, along with a few comments of my own. (You can see their comments on the link.)
- Bull Durham - This is the best of the best? Not hardly. In my book, it hardly ranks in the top five.
- Field of Dreams - Now this is the real #1. Even non-baseball fans can get swept away here.
- Bang the Drum Slowly - It's been a long time (1973) but I think I remember being immensely bored during this flick. Maybe #10.
- Eight Men Out - I know it's supposed to be a classic, but I think I saw it when I was on a road trip in a hotel room, and I fell asleep.
- Pride of the Yankees- A real tear-jerker, even if they are Yankees, isn't this one reason you became a baseball fan?
- The Bad News Bears - They say, the best baseball comedy. Maybe it was, maybe Ball Four was.
- The Natural - Another very heavy flick. Do you guys get the feeling I don't care much for heavy flicks? You'd be right!
- A League of their Own - If it weren't for Rosie O'Donnell, this would be a cute movie. Enjoyable nonetheless.
- The Sandlot - I'm not sure I've seen that. Hey Debbie, where's the Netflix list?
- Major League - They poo-poo it as cliche, and predictable with two dimensional characters, I say "Hey, what's not to love about it?" Push it up to four or five.
So, what do you say, gentlemen? Other nominations? I'll post a quiz on this in a few days, and let's hope our Tigers get things straight.