Remembering!

Well, after having been chastised by my brother in law, Chuck Pio, at Thanksgiving with, "Where have you been!! You haven't been At the Corner for awhile.", I thought I'd better offer some insights. First, I've been trying to recover from the Wolverines football struggles---- yuck! I hope things get on the upswing next year. Lordy if we end up like Nebraska and Notre Dame!!! Who knows when those programs will return to their glory days.
Do any of you remember Ron Nischwitz? He hailed from Dayton, Ohio and played for the Tigers in the early-mid 1960s. He ended up the baseball coach at Wright State University in Dayton. I believe he's still associated with the University in some capacity as he was a successful coach.
Also, how about Don Lund? Back in the 1940s he starred at Michigan and played not only for the Tigers but also the Chicago Bears. He then went back to U of M and coached baseball and eventually was an assistant athletic director. We have some connection to him ---- he married a gal who was a cousin to my father. When my son, and later my daughter attended Michigan I had an uncle here in Minster who said the Lunds were just so tickled that a Bernhold finally came to the U of M. Ha. My sons freshman year we'd get their tickets to football games and sat on the 50 yard line because the Lunds sat up with Bo in the press box.

OK Pio, is this satisfactory? Ha! Also, do any of you bloggers get to AZ during spring training? My son lives in Phoenix and the last few years I go out for 4 0r 5 days in early March and we hang out at the ballparks. Next year my Cincy Reds will be there too. They will share a facility with the Indians and I thing this year the Dodgers move out there! What might be the chance the Tigers move west?

3 comments:

  1. Tigers move west ? NEVER! They belong here in Lakeland.

    And as an Ohio State grad I've shed no tears over the Wolverines' recent losses. I hope they become the Lions of the Big Ten/Eleven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way the Tigers leave Lakeland. It's a lovely facility, the town loves them, the fans from Detroit love going there, and there's still plenty of teams in the area.
    Usually I'm open to discussion; but I just don't think it's gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only willit not happen it is also not even being considered. As Gregg said, the Tigers have a great facility and several current and former Tigers (Verlander, Whitaker, Kaline, Horton) have homes here.

    ReplyDelete