Adios, Edgar

December 5, 2008

Ex-Tiger Renteria gets 2-year, $18.5M deal from Giants

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

SAN FRANCISCO -- Former Tiger Edgar Renteria signed an $18.5-million, two-year contract Thursday with the Giants to replace 11-time Gold Glove shortstop Omar Vizquel.

Renteria gets a $2-million signing bonus, $7 million next year and $9 million in 2010. The Giants have a $10.5-million option for 2011 with a $500,000 buyout.

The Tigers declined to offer Renteria salary arbitration on Monday.

Renteria, a 13-year big league veteran, will be looking to have a better year in 2009. He batted .270 with 10 homers and 55 RBIs this past season for the Tigers, who then declined their $11-million option for Renteria and gave him a $3-million buyout.

"I played good in the National League. I feel real comfortable," Renteria said on a conference call. "Maybe I know more of the game in the National League. It's my type of league. I like to play the game. The American League is different -- you have to go for the home run and wait for hitting. That's no excuse for what happened in the American League, but it might be why I'm so excited to get back to the National League."

3 comments:

  1. Good riddance.
    I didn't get to watch the Tigers on TV or in person as much as I'd like in '08, but with 16 errors, he certainly didn't shine in the field, did he?
    SABRE fans, how does that rank him as an American League shortstop in '08?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect he would have posted a much higher errot total if he had any range in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what the hell are the giants thinking?? plus we gave him a $3 million dollar going away GIFT. Wow that is incredible.

    ReplyDelete