Action Jackson


Yesterday the Tigers traded promising left-handed hitting OF Matt Joyce (who played here in Lakeland for Florida Southern College) to the Rays for 25-year-old right-hander hurler Edwin Jackson. He went 14-11 w/ a 4.42 ERA for the AL champs last year and won't be a free agent until after the 2011 season.
I'm not sure what to make of this deal. I like Joyce a lot and it seems like we need more help in the bullpen than the starting rotation. Still, Jackson offers to solidify the rotation should some of last year's question marks continue their downward spiral.
What say you?

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Tom, I don't know what to make of it either. Pitching sure has many question marks. What is our starting rotation? LOts of question marks. Will Bonderman be back? Robertson return to form of 2006? What is Kenny Rodgers status? Dontrelle? And is it true that Dombrowski said that Rodney is his closer and so there is no need to go after Putz? Lots of questions? I know one thing I love this time of year the Tigers will win the Series, but I say that every December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While relief pitching is a concern, I'd think starting pitching is a much more serious need.
    *Verlander remains #1, but he's lost 1 m.p.h. off his fastball every year since his rookie season.
    *Bonderman is questionable.
    *Willis even more questionable.
    *Let's agree that Rodgers is finished.

    We need at least one more good starter. Let the other guys fight it out for starts. I know that's asking a lot, but hey, it's Christmas. C'mon Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I think about it the more I like this trade. Joyce has potential but where would he play in Detroit's current OF? And what good is a bullpen unless the starter can give it a lead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigers need a solid starter like Burnett. Granted, coming off a career season, he got rich with his deal with the Yankees, but this is what we need; a solid #2 or #3 man in the rotation.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=txyankeesburnett&prov=st&type=lgns

    ReplyDelete