The Chubby Reliever: Phil Coke

Phil Coke is striking, but not particularly for the right reasons.If you believe he's only 210, like the Tiger roster claims, you still believe in Santa Claus.

The way he runs in from the bullpen like he's being chased by Usain Bolt is hilarious. It's a wonder he's not totally winded by the time he takes his warm-up tosses.

Granted, he looked better near the end of last season, but I just don't see him as a critical player in the Tiger pen, especially as a closer, as has been rumored in the last few weeks.

Maybe it's just a matter of bad impressions, but he's made a few on me. In 2011 I saw him get blown up by the Rangers, and last season I had a great seat to watch him relieve a Verlander masterpiece, and then give it away in the tenth.

I honestly laughed when I saw him run in, I thought it was some kind of out-of-place comedy routine, or the ball boy running in to tell Leyland they need more chew in the pen.

His career ERA hangs around 4.00. He barely belongs on a major league roster, but not on ours. 

(We've reviewed Sanchez, Berry, Verlander, Porcello and Peralta, and kind of side-swiped Hunter.  Take your pick of anybody else to praise, slam or trade!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you - no confidence in Coke, but he did have some fine outings. Wouldn't want to race him. He is not the long range answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In an interview I heard R.A. Dickey say that before the knuckler he was a 4A pitcher: Better than Triple A, but not really major league quality. That's what Coke is.

    ReplyDelete