Dear Mr. Fantasy

Here I am this morning with Detroit native, Catholic Central phenom and former Tiger Frank Tanana. The Tigers held the first of two fantasy camps this week here at Tigertown. No I didn't attend, but I stopped by Joker Marchant Stadium for the end-of-camp game between campers and former Tigers.

Along with Tanana I saw Mickey Lolich, Jon Warden, Jim Price, Dave Rozema, Steve Kemp, Guillermo Hernandez, Matt Nokes, Mike Heath, Ike Blessit, Darrell Evans, Milt Wilcox and Dave Bergman. I complimented Bergman on his great at bat in that nationally televised Monday night game in 1984, and he modestly claimed he got lucky. It was great to see the former Tigers having fun in the sun.

To see more photos visit http://picasaweb.google.com/Thomas.hagerty/DetroitTigersFantasyCamp#

7 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Tom. Keep it coming all during Spring Training, you lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    Congratulations. You have a real head start on all of us. Frankie looks pretty good. It has been a long time since he changed high school basetball by being the only guard in the Catholic League over 6'3". Those were the days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Frank breaking the prep strikout record at Catholic Central. I think he was a year ahead of me. I didn't know him but I knew of him. I remember a game at Tiger Stadium in 1975: Frank was pitching for the Angels and he brushed back Willie Horton. Willie charged the mound and it took three Tigers to keep him from tearing Frank's head off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped by the back fields of Tigertown today at lunchtime to see the campers in action. Saw Dan Petry, Rick Leach, Barbaro Garbey and Johnny Grubb. Willie Horton is supposed to be in camp this week but I didn't see him. I plan on going back to Marchant Stadium Saturday for the second campers v. former Tigers game. Please do not hate me because I live in Lakeland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like Daryl Evans has a new "roof over the toolshed" as my Aussie friends say. Meanwhile, Lolich doesn't look much bigger than his Poo Bear shape of 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Darrell hasn't missed many meals since his playing days. I went over to Tigertown again today at lunch. Juan Berenguer showed me his '84 WS ring. Saw Willie Horton riding in a gold cart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fifteeen days and counting. Tom, you are one lucky man. I would never get anything done if I lived in Lakaland and I actually have most of my relatives on my Dad's side of the family that live in Winter Haven and Lakeland. They run the Lewis Funeral Home.

    I will be there from March 20-27. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete