All Time Tiger Team?

Well guys, let's focus on the positive. Who were the greatest Tigers of all time?

Saturday at 2 p.m. eastern, WGN will repeat it's All Access All Time All Chicago http://baseball.wgn.com/pages/home_c

It was great fun, with Dan Patrick hosting writers, historians and the governor arguing over the great Cubs and Sox, and the finer points, such as whether Ernie Banks was the greatest shortstop or the greatest first baseman.

Best line of the show from one of the sportswriters "When I managed Ernie in Stratomatic Baseball, I always put him at short, cause what shortstop can hit like that?"

Now, you know where I'm going with this, Tiger fans. We only have half as many teams, but it's probably been twice as good as both Chicago teams put together. It's probably been done before, but start making out your lineup cards for the Greatest All Time Tiger team. (If it has been done, show me, or show me that it's been done lately.)

I'm thinking we should change Patrick's rules a bit. He says three outfielders at any position. I say let's lock them into their normal playing slot. (But does anybody know which position Ty Cobb played?) Go ahead, argue with me, you know I love a good baseball argument.

On the other hand, he says pick a staff of five pitchers, four starters and one closer. That shuts out a set up man, but hey, you gotta draw the line somewhere. That's fine, but maybe if you were really creating a pitching staff, you have to have at least one leftie.

So start thinking, crack those old record books if you must. Of course, the tough part is comparing generations. In my book, Ty Cobb must be on the team, but he only hit 118 home runs in his 24 years!

Let the discussions begin, and we'll take an "official" poll during or after the series.

7 comments:

  1. OK I will get the ball rolling -- give you guys something to disagree with. For the most part, I will stick with players I know - I will not refer to any record books.

    Catcher -- Was my dad's favortie player Mickey Cochrane. I would choose Bill Freehan
    First Base -- a long shot here. Miguel Cabrera I believe he is a future hall of famer and he needs to be here.
    Second base - Charlie Gehringer, with a close second to Sweet Lou Whitacker
    Shortstop - Alan Trammel
    Third Base - George Kell
    Outfield- Al Kaline, Ty Cobb, Willie Horton
    Reliever - Todd Jones, John Hiller (greatest comeback player)
    Starters - Justin Verlander (can't ignore a no - hitter), Jim Bunning (perfect game - even though it was with the Phillies), and Mickey Lolich (3 wins with 68 World Series)
    Manager- Sparky Anderson, Billy Martin (was a drunk, but he could light a fire).

    ReplyDelete
  2. DH -- the Gator, Gates Brown, Charlie Maxwell - he always hit home runs on Sunday

    Utility Player - Brandon Inge ( can't hit worth a damn, but what an athlete and lokk at how many positions he started at this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck,

    You know Mickey Cochrane? Wow, you're older than I thought. You list three pitchers. How about McLain as a fourth? Yeah, he was a jerk, but 31 wins...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't go with McLain. Yup he had 31 wins but he was a jerk and was somewhat opf a "flash in the pan". I do have a hard time separating a player's ability from his personality. Take Pete Rose. I always thought he belonged in the Hall Of Fame until I read his autopbiography - he is such an arrogant son of a bitch he doesn't even belongin the garbage piaker's hall of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck, I don't think I could disagree with any of your choices (except Les Moss as manager - just kidding.) I would name Jack Morris as my fourth pitcher, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kooch!!
    Nice to hear that you are alive and hopefully doing well. Send me an email with an update pio@wwnet.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm only going to vote for players from my era, so sorry but Cobb, Greenberg etc don't make my team. Who said life was fair?

    1B Norm Cash
    2B Lou Whitaker
    SS Alan Trammel
    3B Aurelio Rodriguez
    LF Willie Horton
    CF Chet Lemon
    RF Al Kaline
    P: Denny McClain, Mickey Lolich, Jack Morris, Jim Bunning
    Bullpen: John Hiller, Willie Hernandez, Aurelio "Senor Smoke" Lopez
    MGR: Sparky Anderson
    Broadcasters: Ernie Harwell & George Kell

    No DH!

    ReplyDelete