HOF Ballot Time

Well, only one of us has a Hall of Fame ballot (and I'm curious about your picks, Jeff) but it's always fun to think about what we would do on the ballot.

This year's ballot is chock-a-block full of greats. (See http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2014.shtml)

IMHO, that's a real problem for our Tigers, like Jack Morris, who faces his last shot at the hall before waiting for an old-timers selection. (Only 10 nominees may be selected from the ballot.)

Although it won't be his last opportunity, the same problem for Alan Trammel.

Yes, I would pick both of them.

Sean Casey? I was surprised he was on the ballot, but when I looked up his record, http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/caseyse01.shtml I could see that by the time he hit the Tigers, his glory days were in the distant past. He had a good career, with a lifetime average of .302 but I just don't think he had a HOF type career. 130 home runs over a long 12 year career just isn't that great. Nice guy, but just doesn't cut it.

Similarly, Todd Jones, who had three tours of duty with the Tigers, and a good career, but an ERA of almost four, and an overall losing record don't make him the Christy Mathewson. 

Kenny Rogers is probably the toughest pick of our Tigers. He had a long career (20 years) and won more than he lost. He was certainly a guy you'd want in your rotation for most of these years, but with an ERA north of 4, I don't think he's HOF quality.
BTW, I ain't voting for anybody who even sniffs like PEDs. (But I'll let you do so if you think it's no big deal.

So what other eight players would I vote for?

*Craig Biggio
*Jeff Bagwell
*Curt Schilling
*Greg Maddux
*Frank Thomas
*Mike Mussina
*Tom Glavine
I'm torn between Edgar Martinez and Lee Smith. 

Cast your vote, even if you don't get around to it until after the election.         

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I was a loser on this one. Just now finding my way back to "At The Corner." FYI: This was the first time I've ever used all 10 of my votes. My choices: Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Biggio, Bagwell, Morris, Trammell, Piazza, Raines and (although it's clear that few others agree ...) Kent.

    ReplyDelete