MLB's new dress code for media isn't new -- if you're a professional

My two cents on a cold Thursday morning in northern Michigan...

The "new" dress code announced for members of the media who "cover" Major League Baseball games isn't new. MLB simply turned unwritten rules into written ones to account for the growing number of idiots receiving media credentials for MLB games.

The "new" dress code, which clearly includes both males and females, does not allow see-through clothing, ripped jeans, one-shouldered or strapless shirts, bare midriffs, "excessively short" skirts, dresses or shorts, visible undergarments, tank tops, flip-flops or anything with a team logo.

Thank you, MLB, for stating the obvious. Well, I thought it was obvious. Anyone with an ounce of professionalism already knew not to wear that stuff, but now that we're in the internet era – with young, "hip" (whatever) bloggers and .com-ers scoring creditials – it's long overdue. I'm so sick of seeing punks in the press box (and I don't care if I sound like a curmudgeon). It's all about professionalism, something SORELY LACKING in much of today's "media."

3 comments:

  1. Yes you sound like a curmudgeon complaining that upstart bloggers and .com types have gained access to the inner sanctum of the media suite.

    Speaking of which, the outlet I shoot for, Lakeland Local.com, has been twice denied a media credential for spring training photos because it's just an online outlet and not "real" media. This year, however, I'm working on a photo project for the City of Lakeland, which owns/maintains Joker Marchant Stadium and Tigertown, and my city contact has secured a promise of a credential for me for spring training. I'll use caution and avoid ripped jeans or a bare midriff.

    ReplyDelete