Welcome

Welcome to our blog, Marauders & Tigers.

Likely, you got my e-mail with the basic intent of what we are about.


If not, this was born out of a bunch of old guys who went to Sacred Heart Seminary in the late 1960's, who remain outrageously loyal to the Detroit Tigers. We loved them in '68 when Kaline was in rightfield, we loved them in 1984 when Gibbie was there, and yes, we even loved them in the dark days when Alan Trammel was manager.


The idea is that we could get together (totally at your leisure) and chat about the Tigers, today, yesterday and tommorrow. Show pictures, make predictions, have fun, just like we were having a Stroh's beer and a Ballpark Hot Dog at (sniffle, sniffle) Tiger Stadium. Invite the boys on a pilgrimage to Toledo to sees the Tigers of Tomorrow, or plan a trip to Lakeland


For example, Bill Bouie (Class of '70) Tom Haggerty (Class of '71 that was born too late) and I went to Lakeland this spring and took in a Tiger spring training game together. Hot fun in the Florida sunshine. The world was bright, and I called for the Tigers to win almost every game. Bill explained it wasn't going to be that easy with no pitching. As we all know, they went out and lost seven straight.

Tom, you are a great photographer, and you have some wonderful stuff shot both at Tiger Stadium and Marchant. Please, share!


So I'll post some pictures of our visit to Joker Marchant Stadium. We vowed to make it an annual pilgrimage (Lucky Tom lives nearby) and in the dark cold days of winter we can plot our escape from jobs and families for at least one game together.

In the meantime, I can't make any promises about being a blogmeister. Forgive me guys, it's only my second effort. The last one lasted only a year, and died from lack of interest.

This one will last as long as you are interested. I won't pester you to post. I'm not selling anything, and I won't use your identity improperly.

See you at the ball park: my next game: Aug. 18 at the Ballpark in Arlington against the Rangers. Fodder for another post.

And GO TIGERS!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to have a place to rant or chat.
    Re: Pudge trade. I think it is a good move. Tigers were not going to re-sign Pudge after this year. But I am not sure Farnsworth is the answer - he wasn't that good before. I am glad to see my Tiger - Brandon Inge - return as the starting catcher. Who has given more to this team in the last fiveyears than he has?
    Re: Tiger Stadium. Let her die a peaceful death. In these tough economic times, can we pour money in to her in good conscience. There is no specific plans for her use, other than Ernie"s artifacts which could be housed elsewhere. I do have mand fond memories of that wonderful park -- running out on the field (I used to run) when the clinched the American league pennant in 68. Being in leftfield when they beat the Padres to be World Champs in 84, and watching my dad wrestle a teen for a foul ball, only to have him give the ball to my cousin. But Comerica Park is a great place for ball too.
    MOre Later,
    chuckpio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise to spell better next time. I will talk about the five parks I have visited this summer.
    More Later,
    chuckpio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome fellow Marauders and Tiger fans. It is great to have this blog out there and to connect with you guys again. Here are the one man's views on a couple of subjects.

    1. Let Tiger Stadium die and blow it up. It is over, let's move on. Maggs home run against Oakland is our new memory. Regardless it is all history. Yankee Stadium and Shea will be blown up literally minutes after the last out is made. That is the way that is should be.

    2. It was due to a couple of Marauders that the stadium has been standing this long. You did a great job, Frank Rashid and Mike Betzold, but its time is over.

    3. Michigan will be much better than people think this fall.

    4. MSU will be MSU...nothing more, and always the chance for something less.

    5. I like the Pudge trade. Inge is more athletic and will be more of a run producer than Pudge and he is happy just to have a job.

    6.Once Matt Joyce adjusts, he will be around for a long time. He has a pretty swing.

    7. Watch Miguel Cabrera closely. He is a future HOF if he can stay away from the after game spread. The other thing is, HE IS HUGE. The new Baby Huey.

    8. The Lions will tease again and break your heart. I will still get suckered making my Sunday schedule around their games. Sunday evenings in the Fall are usually miserable.

    9. Do you watch the highlight shows or read the papers after a Lion loss?

    10. How long can Bud Lynch go?

    11. Whatever happened to Larry Osterman?

    12. Do you remember Van Patrick and Bob Reynolds?

    13. The Pistons will make the Eastern Conference Finals again.

    Hello to Tom Foley and Dave Bilek wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the Farnsworth-Pudge trade can't hurt. Tigers were going to let Pedge walk after this year. They needed immediate bullpen help, which I'm not sure Farnsworth will provide, if they want to have any hope of making the playoffs this year.

    (I thought they would make the wild card but then they dropped two of three to the ChiSox at home and now I doubt it.)

    I've seen Dontrelle Willis pitch twice here in Lakeland. He's had good control but he's not overpowering SIngle A hitters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gregg, a minor correction: I was class of '72 at SHS. Of course I didn't graduate since the school closed in 1970.

    ReplyDelete