So now we're all in clinical depression. Where from here

A few observations.

1. I don't need to pay for additional television access to baseball games. I can't keep up with what's on during the playoffs already. If baseball were food, I'd weigh 500 lbs. Since I'm usually eating when watching games on TV, I'm quickly approaching that number anyway.
2. My wife thinks I'm an alcoholic, since I drink during Tiger playoff games. I drink because they lose, I drink because they win. I drink because I'm worried about what will happen next year. I drink cause I still think the Tigers never should have traded Granderson, but all my friends disagree. You have become "all my friends." Gee, maybe I am an alcoholic.
3. And now for the important stuff: what are we gonna do about next year. Somebody get me a Stroh's.

6 comments:

  1. Next year we need better middle relievers. And we need to stay injury free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For you out of towners -- the headline in today's Free Press sums up the season, "WHAT A RIDE - Season may be over, but not the Pride." What a year it was. So many experts did not pick them to finish over third and we ended up the fourth best team in baseball. Tom is so right -- middle relievers and injuries (Boesch, Avilla, Young, Guillen, Ordonez)- what a difference healthy players would have made.
    Not sure of their contracts, but do we need Ordonez (not at 10 mil), Guillen (always injured), Penny (didn't back up the play at the plate last night). And isn't Polanco available - I still say we blew it when we let him go to Phillie.
    Even tho I complained about them kudos to Leyland and Dombrowski for a fine season. I am proud to say I love Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may sound stupid, but hey I'm allowed.
    Every team has injuries: remember the '68 Tigers? Kaline ran into the wall, broke his arm and swallowed his tongue. A good team is team is deep enough to handle it.
    We need more pitching, Fourth and Fifth starters, middle relief. Hate to keep ragging on the kid, but we need a centerfielder who can hit, or at least put the ball in play, not strike out 50% of the time. Time to trade him for what we can get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaline broke his arm in 1968 when he was hit by a pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In 2011, Jackson's second year in the big leagues, he had 591 ABs and struck out 181 times. (If my math is correct he'd need close to 300 Ks to strike out 50% of the time.)

    In 2007, Granderson's second full season in the bigs, he had 612 ABs and struck out 141 times.

    Similar, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And yes we blew it by letting Polanco go but I wouldn't bother bringing him back at this point in his career. Time also to part ways with Ordonez and Guillen.

    ReplyDelete